(January 23 – written by Dave)
Mostly photos today… Just a couple thoughts.
- Get to Guanajuato while you are young(ish) – this place is all up and all down. Stairs are not even and you’ll be walking a lot. Your knees, lower back and feet will thank you when you retire for an afternoon siesta.
- Get a map, GPS and smartphone with Google Maps – you will get lost. You will find yourself in a tunnel with several layers of street and building above – don’t panic, just look for stairs and go up.
- Bring a good camera or at least a photographic memory – every turn reveals more wow moments.
- Don’t worry too much about your lack of Spanish – many people speak some English and hand gestures do the rest.
- Plan on getting lost several times – see point two, don’t panic.
- Don’t count on getting home by looking for the bright green house – there are lots of bright green, red, yellow, blue and everything else houses. See point 2 and trust your electronics.
- Don’t bring a car – you’ll be scared to death of driving it here and have to pay a lot to park it. Take the bus.
Most of all, somehow, get yourself here. It really is a magical little city. We have barely scratched the surface and are looking forward to two more days of exploring. More later…